Don't lose your cool when winter weather makes road conditions less than ideal. Get a grip with these winter driving tips that will help you Getaround safely all winter long.
Top Traction Tips
- Never use cruise control on slippery roads.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly for the best traction, and never drive in a hurry.
- When going up hills don’t accelerate excessively, and don't stop mid-hill.
- Put more space in between you and other cars on the road, and give yourself more space to make a complete stop.
Winter Words of Wisdom
- Run the engine and heater just long enough to remove chill before your trip.
- Don’t use the parking brake in extremely cold weather.
- Keep your gas tank at least half-full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
- Never let your exhaust pipe become clogged with snow – it could cause deadly carbon monoxide to leak into the cabin.
- Always stay informed with the weather reports before long distance travel and consider staying off the road if conditions are really bad.
In Case of Emergency
- Pack blankets, gloves, hats, food, water, and medication into an emergency pack.
- If you become snow-bound: stay with your vehicle, it’s the warmest, safest shelter if you’re stuck.
- Tie a bright piece of cloth to your antenna or window to signal distress.
- Insulate with whatever you can find in the car (car mats, newspaper, etc).
Now you're prepared for most any inclement driving weather – but if you find your mode of transportation ill-equipped to battle the elements, open up the Getaround app and book an AWD vehicle or SUV for your travels. And as always, drive safely and wear your seat belt!