Since day one, our mission at Getaround has been to empower people to carshare everywhere. Today, we are a global community of over 5 million users. As the coronavirus continues to impact the neighborhoods and cities we serve, we want to outline the steps we are taking, as well as the steps you should take, to keep the people around you safe at this time.
Here are some of the steps we are taking to help keep you safe:
- Updated sanitation practices. We have circulated new hygiene and cleanliness protocols to all staff who interact with Getaround cars on a regular basis.
- Vehicle quarantine protocols. We have established new processes to ensure that if we are informed a car has been in contact with coronavirus, the vehicle is deactivated, quarantined, and cleaned before being returned to service.
In order to help minimize the spread of the coronavirus in the communities we serve, we are outlining some basic health and safety precautions to keep in mind when sharing cars during this time.
To help minimize the risk in your community, we are strongly urging our users to follow the CDC’s guidelines for preventing the spread of the coronavirus:
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces. Bring disinfectant wipes to wipe down door handles, locks, dash buttons, steering wheel, and shifting column before and after your Getaround trip. We recommend that all owners clean and disinfect cars between trips, and before personal use.
- Cover your mouth and nose. Getaround vehicles are shared spaces, so for your (and the next driver's) safety, please wear a disposable face mask or homemade cloth face covering during your Getaround trip. Always cover your coughs and sneezes and dispose of any used tissues at the end of your trip. Remember: a cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.
- Practice social distancing. Make sure to put distance between yourself and other people, including your passengers. Give yourself and others space in parking lots and pedestrian walkways.
- Wash your hands. Use soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after your Getaround trip. If you don’t have access to washing facilities, we recommend bringing anti-bacterial hand sanitizer to use after blowing your nose, sneezing, coughing, or going into public spaces.
- Follow all local health advisories and stay home if you are sick. If you need to cancel an upcoming reservation you can do so via the Getaround app or by contacting Getaround customer support..
Each community will be impacted in different ways by the COVID-19 coronavirus, so please follow all health and travel advisories from your local health authorities to help keep you and your community safe. Our team will continue to monitor the latest alerts and advisories in the cities we serve to ensure we are taking the appropriate precautions as the situation continues to develop.
As always, thank you for being part of our carsharing community.